Sunday, August 24, 2008

vocab

The last week or so has been a pretty good week for Alicia in the vocabulary area. She has been really responding more to repeating words and such. In her last two developmental and speech therapy sessions, she has hit over 20-30 words! Which is a great improvement for Alicia. Earlier this spring, when she was evaluated for help, our therapists said she was probably closer to a 9-12 month-old language development, and she is now more closer to the lower half of the 12-18 month old area! yeah, Alicia! In just 5 months, she has shown some great signs. Speaking of signs, Alicia will do some signing of things as well, as she was able to use her words and signs together to show "I want (did "want" and "more" with signing) more bubbles!" the other day for her therapist. Howevever, I think she was a show-off that day, as she has only done about 1 0r 2 other 2-4 word phrases.. .so that is our next phase I guess. They say she needs to have about 75-80 words she frequently uses to really start using phrases readily.
Some of Alicia's frequent words nowdays are:
"mel-mo" -- Elmo
"whas-at-- what's that
"thasmine"-- that's mine
"waddle-waddle" - Penquin
"kitty-kitty" or "ta" - Tanner
"elp" - help
"(b)ilk" - milk
"ca" - Carl
"cua" - Lucas
"pack" - pack and play
"ausuge" - sausage
"orge" orange
"nana" - banana
- really tries to imitate some of the letters of the alphabet now when singing it.

Pretty clear words now--Mine, yes, uh-oh, uh-oh, mama, dada, moon, sun, star, blue, cheese, baby, book, ball, more, fish, duck, hot, dog, bubbles, and lots of animal sounds. I'm sure there's more, but maybe later, I'll add them once I find my list :)


Really cool sunset the other night outside...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

way to go Alicia be sure and tell all about it this weekend Grandma Karen

Anonymous said...

It's so great to hear how well she's doing with speech! Cole's therapy ladies get a short summer so he's been on break for about a month but is really making a lot of headway on his own. Our new favorite is cinnamon spice - he says it like he's tasting it with the word spice being stretched out like, "niiiccceee" - do you guys keep track of the words she's adds on a regular basis? I'm awful about doing that but always have it in my mind to do so...

Heather said...

we only do through her therapy sheets, but its not complete. i'm horrible at it... we were trying to write it down the other night, but was having problems :)